Sweetgrass: Spiritual Meaning, Uses & Benefits
In Northern Europe, sweet grass was laid on the ground in front of churches on Saints' days so the sweet fragrance would be released when people walked inside. Among Native Americans, sweet grass has a long tradition of use in sacred rituals as a “smudging” herb and is still widely used for that purpose today
- Origin: North America and Eurasia
- Growth: The plant grows to a height of about 24 inches with long, scented stalks hiding shiny undersides.
- Plant family: Poaceae
- Scent: Vanilla-like fragrance
- Colour: Bright green leaves and has a distinctively reddish colour at their base
- Harvesting: Usually sweetgrass is harvested in the summer during the growing season, they can be harvested once or twice a year. The foliage is very relaxed. It will be necessary to carefully lift the leaves and cut the stems close to the ground (leave 1–2 inches of plant stem).
- Endangered: Sweetgrass is listed as an endangered species in three states
in the eastern region of the United States and has restricted distribution in areas of the western the United States.
Sweetgrass has proven to be a sacred, powerful plant believed by many to dispel negative energy, elicit emotional strength and engage our minds and senses.
- Sweetgrass is connected to the element of Water.
- Associated with the Zodiac sign Taurus.
Sweetgrass has many wonderful attributes for medicinal purposes. You can brew sweetgrass as a tea to cleanse yourself; The tea is effective for soothing sore throat and provides relief from cough. It is well known for treating cold and flu; for centuries in Native Indian traditions they would inhale the smoke from burning to release nose congestion. Used for minor wounds and infections; including chapped skin.
Sweet grass is used by tribal people of North America to stop bleeding in uterus and to expel placenta after childbirth. The infusion made from this herb is helpful for those who suffered miscarriage.
In an essential oil form, you can burn this amazing sacred plant for relaxation, mind clearance and meditation. It makes us feel calm and aids concentration. You can use sweetgrass oil or raw form to repel against insects.