The Sacral Chakra - Meaning, Uses & How to work with it
Known as our 2nd main chakra, the sacral of all creation & nurture. Today we will be diving into the roots of 2/7 main chakras.
Where is our Sacral chakra and What is it?
The sacral chakra is situated under the belly button. The orange represents the creativity and pleasurable side of the feminine and masculine energies. Like the element of fire, natural colour represents the fire within, the passion, love and all desires.
The sacral chakra is represented as a six-petal lotus. The circles symbolize the cycles of rebirth and death; the crescent moon symbolizes cycles – chaos, never-ending change and constant movement.
The sacral chakra, also known as Svadhisthana, originates from Hinduism and Tantric Buddhism, which translates to Sva, which is the self; and Shthana is the place. Sanskrit for “dwelling place of the Self.” Below where you can see the positioning of the sacral chakra:
Our sacral chakra governs our emotions, relationships and creation of life and the reality we exist within. The sacral expresses 7-14 years as these are the years we start to become more conscious of our path, to fruition the individual's creativity, and where our body begins to change into a new life cycle. When this chakra is in a state of balance, it allows us to flow and abundantly create beautiful outcomes.
When our chakras here are showing balance, we are able to be flexible with our choices in life, being open towards others and compassionate. We have a sense of security within our identity. The sacral chakra is very close to the root and so when our roots are not in stability this will have a connection issue with our sacral chakras as they share similar traits.
What is a balanced Root chakra and how do I know if my root chakra is blocked?
To have a balanced sacral chakra, here are some of the top essences that may help you distinguish the differences between blocked and balanced.
Let's explain how this works. So we have established that the sacral chakra is the life force, seeding of creativity. When we are in a balance with this beautiful flow of energy, we emerge into creativity and adventure, and we know who we truly are without question. A sacral chakra can become over or under-stimulated for many reasons. If we have been pulled out of our creative flow or heavily questioned or projected judgement of who we are, we can fall into many toxic habits. Such as self-sabotage, disliking our image, creating addictions/obsessions and overindulging in the wrong things.
Unfortunately, this mostly comes down to external projections and programming. This can also be from toxic relationships that have not accepted you for who you are. Emotional, physical or sexual abuse is another cause of imbalances which tend to flag up other symptoms such as rejection, numbness, cold energy becoming over-attached or completely disconnected. When these events happen, we truly do disconnect from a lot of factors, especially our sexuality, identity, support mechanisms and feeling of that inability to carry ourselves like before. This is a part of the mind-body-soul of the sacral chakra and how it can cause these distortions.
Another important factor we have learnt from having this chakra blocked for many years is whether people have been projecting and emotionally dumping their stuff on you. Females especially store energy right here. This is a really underlooked energy stagnancy that shows us we have let our boundaries down or we are not expressing enough. This has a major connection to the throat chakra.
Here are some questions to think about:
How am I feeling? Am I connected to my sexuality and creative energy? Do I know who I am? Am I exchanging my love, compassion and sensuality with the right people? Is my energy being harnessed for the pleasure of others and not my own needs?
Our sacral chakra is the life force, it is the womb, the root of creation. So, if we are experiencing any interference here we need to take some time to check in with our dimensional bodies, and how you are feeling. tap into that intuition because there may be external or rooted traumas that have brought you to this moment.
Symptoms shown in the physical:
Sometimes we cannot explain physical ailments and we need to check in with ourselves on a more 1-1 level. When we experience imbalances here are some of the physical realities that may occur:
- For women menstrual cycles & period colour shows a lot for example; heavier darker blood can relate to stress hormones, and period cramping is an indication of imbalanced hormones.
- Abdominal swelling (IBS)
- Weight gain
- Lack of sexual drive, intimate feelings
- Over-abusing pleasure
- Lower back pain
- Impotency / Infertility
- Addictive behaviour
- Kidney infection
- Urinary problems
How can I connect & rebalance this chakra?
We will list some attributes below to help you find ways to balance your sacral chakra. Although balancing such a delicate area takes time, and you should not be in any hurry to unblock it, it is important to feel and understand all aspects of you, your past, present and future timeline. A healing journey requires patience and gentleness.
- I am connected to my creative energy.
- I hold the power to manifest my dream life.
- My sexuality is sacred.
- I am free to express myself in whatever way feels divine to me.
- I attract people who treat me with respect.
- My intuitive senses are awakened.
- I let go of past feelings that no longer serve me.
- I breathe in powerful golden light.
- I am comfortable moving my body in ways that feel good to me.
- I know my self-worth, and I will not settle for less than I deserve.
- I radiate passion and prosperity.
- I trust in my true purpose.
- I am worthy.
- I am independent.
- I accept the flow of life.
- My emotions are my teachers.
- I am at home in my body.
- Much like the root chakra being physically active can help release dopamine and emotional build-ups can be released through this chemical.
- Yoga is an amazing and ancient practice. incorporating yoga with a teacher who understands the chakras will help your journey.
- Having intimacy with your partner as the intention of an exchange of love is not only a physical and intimate activity but releases dopamine, endorphins and oxytocin
- Swimming, generally being in the water is excellent for the sacral chakra as it is connected to the element of water. Water also allows us to release our emotions.
Celery, Kale, Spirulina, Sweet potato, Oranges, Cacao, Organic Sea Moss, Medicinal mushrooms (activates receptors), Kimchi, peppermint, nettle or green tea, turmeric, ginger, blueberries, nuts & seeds. Kefir, Bananas, Apples, Garlic, Flaxseeds.
Water or juice fasting from 24-72 hours helps the gut have a break and restore. We found a personal decrease in anxiety this way.
- The sacral chakra resonates at the frequency 417hz with the sound VAM.
- Sound baths, Tuning Forks & guided meditations for the root chakra.
- Energy healing on the self to repair energetic field, tears & external entities.
- Working with the element of water.
- The sacral chakra mainly thrives with the emotions we absorb and express and so self-love, affirmations and self-care are key.
- Taking time out for yourself so being in nature, especially water.
- Finding activities or techniques to release (for example boxing, trance dance).
- Yoni Steams: (for females) excellent to cleanse and restore.
- Dedicate time to creativity, new hobbies or further investment in something you love.
- Ujjayi pranayama and kapalabhatti practices.
- Meditation and self reflection (shadow work)